Pueblo City-County Health Department recognizes breastfeeding as an important and the best way to protect the health of mothers and their infants. The Academy of Pediatrics recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months, followed by breastfeeding for the first year or longer. We are here to educate mothers and provide support to meet their breastfeeding goals.
- Research shows that breast milk is the best nutrition for a child’s first year of life. (American Academy of Pediatrics)
- Breast milk provides all the nutrients for good growth and development. Breast milk is easy to digest, and is made special for your baby.
- Breast milk protects babies against common infant illnesses. Breast milk can protect your baby against diarrhea, ear infections, breathing and lung related infections, and much more. Long term breastfeeding has also been linked to higher IQ scores and lower chance of being overweight. (National Resource Center for Health and Safety in Child care and Early Education)
- Breastfeeding helps you lose weight after delivery, decreases your risk of ovarian/breast cancer, lowers risk of type 2 diabetes, and provides many more benefits for yourself. (Protecting, promoting and supporting breastfeeding: the special role of maternity services)
- Breastfeeding helps create a special bond between you and your baby. Nothing is more comforting for an infant than being held close and cuddled while breastfeeding.
Breastfeeding Information & Support
The breastfeeding program can help with breastfeeding problems such as latch, damaged nipples, preemie babies, low milk supply, and much more! Call Sonja for information or to schedule an appointment.
Sonja Lindsay Crites, IBCLC
Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Coordinator
International Board Certified Lactation Consultant
Breastfeeding Texting Program
- Pueblo WIC provides 24/7 peer support from mothers like you through a texting program.
- “Babies Breast Friends” mom & baby group provides education, support, resources and much more!
Pump Loan Program
- Electric Pump Loan Program for WIC eligible moms
- Given to mom’s for returning to work or school, preemie medical necessary and many other reasons on a priority basis.
- Free manual pumps also available.
For more information call the Pueblo WIC Office @ 719.583.4392