Pueblo County Buy Local
The Buy Local Advisory Board was established by Pueblo County Commissioners in 2016 to support their commitment to the local economy. The Advisory Board is tasked with investigating local-preference policies and pursuing a buy-local campaign.
Spotlight on Local Business
Pueblo businesses that are owned and operated by residents of Pueblo County are eligible to be nominated for a monthly Spotlight to be selected by the Buy Local Advisory Board. Businesses will be featured on the Pueblo County website, social media, and may receive other non-cash media opportunities from local partners. The “Spotlight” will be an avenue to recognize and bring attention to the diverse local business community with the intention of increasing local purchasing.
Your business is eligible if you can answer yes to all of the following questions:
- Is the business privately owned or operating as a cooperative?
- Is the business located in Pueblo County, Colorado?
- Do the majority (greater than 50%) of the owners or directors who have a controlling interest live in Pueblo County, Colorado the majority of the year (greater than 50% of the time)?
- Is this business registered solely in the state of Colorado and independent of any corporate or national headquarters outside of Pueblo County?
- Does the business have full autonomy to make independent decisions including purchasing, operations, and distribution, as well as the name and look of the business?
- Does the business pay all of its own marketing, rent, and other business expenses (without assistance from, or payment to, a corporate headquarters)?
- Has it been in business for 90 days?
WHY BUY LOCAL?
When communities purchase goods and services from locally owned and operated businesses you strengthen the local economy. Here are a few reasons to shop local with links to full reports:
Pueblo County Buy Local Fact Sheet
CREATE JOBS AND OPPORTUNITIES! Not only do independent businesses employ more people directly per dollar of revenue, they also are the customers of local printers, accountants, wholesalers, farms, attorneys, etc., expanding opportunities for local entrepreneurs. Content Source: https://www.amiba.net/resources/localhero/
STRENGTHEN YOUR LOCAL ECONOMY! Each dollar you spend at independent businesses returns 3 times more money to your local economy than one spent at a chain (almost 50 times more than buying from an online mega-retailer) — a benefit we all can bank on. Content Source: https://www.amiba.net/resources/localhero/
LOCAL BUSINESS OWNERS ARE MORE LIKELY TO GIVE BACK TO YOUR COMMUNITY. Beyond actual dollars being kept within your local community - which is significantly higher when dollars are spent at a local business vs. corporate one - small business owners are also more likely to "do good" for your community, as well. Small businesses deliver community character and economic advantages to the town they are positioned in, but also strengthen partnerships among neighbors, residents, other small business owners, community leaders and even schools by offering social and economic relationships. Many also support local causes, creating even more good within a community. Link to Forbes Article
Local Business Certification- COMING SOON