Carbon monoxide, also called CO, is a colorless and odor free gas that can kill! CO is produced from burning fuel such as gas stoves, cars, small engines, and even fireplaces.

When experiencing CO poisoning, you may have chest pain, dizziness, headache, nausea, and vomiting and in extreme cases can cause you to pass out or even kill you.

  • CO poisoning is preventable
  • Have your gas appliances checked every year, these can include stoves, clothes dryers, refrigerators, and water heaters
  • Do not use portable chemical heaters or generators indoors and don’t use your stove to heat your home
  • Have your chimney checked and cleaned once a year
  • Ensure your appliances are vented correctly
  • Never run your vehicle inside a closed garage or one that is attached to a home

Although, this list covers a few culprits, it doesn’t cover all of the possibilities. Be sure to test your CO alarms every month and replace batteries every six months. Replace the entire alarm every 5-7 years per manufacturer specifications. For more information on CO prevention go online to cdc.gov/co/faqs.htm or call the Pueblo Fire Department at 719-553-2830.