In conjunction with the opening of the Own Your Own show, save
Victim Assistance and Law Enforcement (VALE) Fund
Victim Assistance and Law Enforcement (VALE) Fund Tenth Judicial District
August 25, 2017
REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
Funding Cycle January 1, 2018 to December 31, 2018
The Tenth Judicial Victim Assistance and Law Enforcement (VALE) Board announces the availability of Local VALE funds authorized by Title 24, Article 4.2, Colorado Revised Statutes.
ANTICIPATED AMOUNT AVAILABLE: Because VALE funds are obtained through the assessment of fines by the courts, it is impossible to know the exact amount of funds that will be available for grants in 2018. As a result, the Board anticipates that it will allocate approximately $340,000 for 2018 grants and $10,000 for COVA Conference Scholarships.
GRANT PERIOD: January 1, 2018 through December 31, 2018
ELIGIBILITY: The Local VALE Board is authorized to enter into contracts for the purchase and coordination of victim and witness assistance services with persons or agencies that the Board deems appropriate. The Board shall accept and evaluate applications related to the implementation of the rights afforded to crime victims pursuant to Section 24-4.1-302.5 C.R.S. and for the provision of services delineated pursuant to Sections 24-4.1-303 and 304 C.R.S. Such monies shall not be used for defraying the costs of routine and ongoing operating expenses.
Grants submitted to the Board must serve persons residing or victimized in the Tenth Judicial District (Pueblo, County).
PRIORITY CATEGORIES: The Tenth Judicial District VALE Board will give priority consideration to victim services and law enforcement programs which:
- Are required to provide victim services for the implementation of the rights afforded to crime victims pursuant to Section 24-4.1-302.5 C.R.S.;
- Are included among the provision of the services and programs delineated in Sections 24-4.1-303 C.R.S., 24-4.1-304 C.R.S. and 24-4.2-105(4) C.R.S. and related to all crimes as defined by Section 24-4.1-302(1) C.R.S.;
- Provide direct services to victims of crime;
- Have demonstrated an effective response to victim needs; and/or will provide new, innovative, or unmet victim services;
- Do not duplicate other victim services within the Tenth Judicial District.
PLEASE NOTE: According to 24-4.2-105(2.5)(a) C.R.S., “The board shall not accept, evaluate, or approve any application requesting grants of money…from any state agency, including local offices of such agencies; except … the court administrator … for the purpose of collecting all monies assessed by the courts … (and) local probation department … for the purpose of implementing the rights of victims …”
PLEASE NOTE: Copies of the state statutes related to these funds are available at http://state.co.us/dcj-victim-program/home/local-VALE and click the link for Local VALE Statute 24-4.2-(101-110)
- August 25, 2017 Request for Proposals released (Grant application packets e-mailed to prior recipients), notices posted
- September 13, 2017 Applicant’s Workshop, 11:30 PM to 1:00 PM, Community Conference Room, District Attorney’s Office, 701 Court St., Pueblo, CO; Lunch will be provided. RSVP required to firstname.lastname@example.org
- October 6, 2017 Grant Application Submission Deadline – An original and seven (7) copies of the completed grant application must be received by 4:00 PM on this date at the District Attorney’s Office, 701 Court St., Pueblo, CO 81003. NOTE: Applicants mailing their applications must allow sufficient mail delivery time to ensure receipt of their proposals by the specified time. LATE PROPOSALS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
- October 17, 2017 Application review by the VALE Board and decisions on funding
- October 23, 2017 Notification of funding; applicants denied funding may request reconsideration
- November 6, 2017 Deadline for receipt of request(s) for reconsideration (4 pm)
- November 14, 2017 Board will hear request(s) for reconsideration.
- November 20, 2017 Contracts will be mailed to 2018 Grantee recipients
- December 28, 2017 All Contracts must be signed and returned by noon.
APPPLICATION SUBMISSION: An original and seven (7) copies of the entire application must be received no later than 4:00 p.m., Friday, October 6, 2017, by the VALE Administrator at the Tenth Judicial District Attorney’s Office, 701 Court St., Pueblo, CO 81003. The receptionist at the DA’s Office will be instructed to record the date and time of receipt of the application. Please mark VALE APPLICATION on the outside of your envelope.
Applicants may not FAX or E-mail applications to the VALE Board under any circumstances. Applicants mailing their applications must allow sufficient mail delivery time to ensure receipt of their proposals by the deadline.
- Grant project falls under the VALE Statute Title 24, Article 4.2, C.R.S.
- The project provides victim services to implement the Victims’ Rights Constitutional Amendment.
- Application is complete, concise, clearly represents the proposed project, and provides all information requested.
- The project provides direct services to victims of crime in the Tenth Judicial District.
- Applicant has demonstrated a need for the project.
- The applicant is effective in responding to the needs of victims of crime.
- Applicant does not duplicate services provided by other resources.
- Applicant efficiently utilizes its resources, including volunteers, or otherwise maximizes the number of persons served per grant dollar.
- Applicant demonstrates good fiscal management practices.
- Applicant has demonstrated the ability to comply with financial and program requirements (if applicant has received past funding from the VALE Board).
- Applicant demonstrates reasonable fundraising efforts, local volunteer and/or financial support and, if appropriate, a diversified funding base.
- Applicant has demonstrated an effective response to victim needs or provides new, innovative approaches to unmet victim needs in the Tenth Judicial District.
- The Board will give appropriate deference to the need for continuity in providing service to programs with a proven track record with the local VALE Board.
NOTE: The fact that an applicant meets eligibility requirements or has received funding in the past does not guarantee funding.
REQUESTS FOR RECONSIDERATION: The VALE Board reserves the right to reject any or all proposals, or to reject any portion of a proposal, if it is determined to be in the best interest of the Tenth Judicial District to do so. All applicants who have been denied funding have a right to request a reconsideration of the Board’s denial of funding if the applicant can show that additional information is available or if a change in circumstances has occurred. Requests for reconsideration will be heard at the November 14, 2017, meeting of the Board. Written notification of the results of the request will be mailed to the applicant within seven (7) working days after a determination has been made.
NOTICE OF A REQUEST FOR RECONSIDERATION MUST BE IN WRITING AND MUST BE RECEIVED BY THE BOARD WITHIN 14 DAYS OF THE DATE OF NOTIFICATION OF THE DENIAL OF FUNDING.
APPLICANTS MAY REQUEST A GRANT APPLICATION PACKET BY CALLING OR WRITING:
10th JD VALE Board Administrator
District Attorney’s Office
701 Court St.
Pueblo, CO 81003