January 28, 2020 Pueblo, CO Public Health Officials announced a new position at the Pueblo Department of Public Health and Environment to identify and enforce the cleanup of dumpsites throughout the City and County of Pueblo.
“This position dedicates a staff member to find areas in the City and County of Pueblo where illegal dumping occurs and identify who dumped the waste to process the individual through the court system,” stated Randy Evetts public health director at the Pueblo Department of Public Health and Environment. Evetts added, “a cleaner, healthier community is the goal of the Health Department as we strive to promote the health and protect the environment for Pueblo County in partnership with Pueblo City County Trash Task Force, the City of Pueblo and Pueblo County jointly funded these improvement efforts.”
Solid waste is defined as garbage, refuse, sludge, trash, litter, rubbish in Sections 30-15-401 (1)(a) and 30-20-101(6), of Colorado Revised Statues.
The public is encouraged when they “see it, to report it” for a buildup of trash in the community. Trash and solid waste reporting and dumping reporting is different in the city and county of Pueblo
- One-time report of waste in the City, call City of Pueblo Code Enforcement 719-553-2592
- One-time report of waste in the County of Pueblo call Pueblo Department of Public Health and Environment 719-583-4307
- Ongoing dumping in the city or county call the Illegal Dumping Hotline 719-583-4323
The Pueblo City County Trash Task Force was started by Pueblo County Commissioner Garrison Ortiz who worked with concerned Pueblo residents, local waste disposal companies, Pueblo West Metropolitan, City of Pueblo, Pueblo County, and the Pueblo Department of Public Health and Environment throughout 2019. The following solutions were identified by the Pueblo County Trash Task Force
- Hire employee to look at illegal dumping, report illegal dumping sites, and bring cases through Pueblo’s court system
- Place motion activated cameras in identified problem areas City and County