Both parties must complete and sign the license application form. At least one of the parties must apply in person and bring an absentee affidavit for the other party. If one of the parties cannot appear in person, he or she must complete an absentee affidavit and sign it before a notary public accompanied with missing persons ID, before it can be accepted by the marriage clerk. Applicants for a marriage license need not be Colorado residents.
If either party has been married previously, we will require the date, place and name of court if divorced. Those who have been widowed will need to supply the date and place of death of their deceased spouse.
Marriages are prohibited when one of the parties is still married to another person. They are also prohibited between ancestor and descendant, brother and sister, uncle and niece, aunt and nephew, persons incarcerated.
The license may be issued only during normal working hours of the office of the County Clerk and Recorder, Monday - Friday (except for legal holidays), 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM.
The license is valid for 35 days--including the date of issue--anywhere in the State of Colorado.
The license fee is $30.00 Cash Only
The age requirements for both parties are the same - for ages 18 and older, no parental consent is required. For marriages at ages of 16 and 17, consent of both parents (and parent having legal custody), or guardian, or judicial approval is required. 15 or younger, Judicial approval is required.
Each applicant must bring proof of identity and birth date, such as a current US driver's license, or a current passport.
Blood tests are NOT required for either the male or female applicant.
A marriage may be performed by a judge, court magistrate, the parties to the marriage (bride(s) and/or groom(s)), or other public official authorized to perform marriages or in accordance with any mode or solemnization recognized by a religious denomination or Indian tribe or nation. Parties to the marriage are the bride(s) and/or groom(s). If the parties to the marriage choose to perform their own ceremony, they must fill out the lower portion of the license completely and sign as both bride and groom and as parties to the marriage. The type of ceremony and words exchanged (if any) are their choice.
The following Judges will perform weddings. Please have parties make specific arrangements with the clerks.
Their telephone numbers are listed below.
|Magistrate Kelle Thomas (Wednesday-Friday Only)||719-404-8882|
- The license must be used within 35 days from the date of issue and used only in the State of Colorado.
- You both need to sign where it says "Bride" & "Groom" at the lower right corner of the license.
- The officiating party is responsible for returning the license to the Clerk & Recorder's office.
- Once the license has been returned, it will be recorded and imaged in our office. The original license must be kept for imaging.
- If a certified copy of the license is needed immediately, the officiating party may let you bring the license in yourself (for military only)--to our office. We can then issue a certified copy for $1.25. The original is kept for imaging.
- If you haven't received your marriage license from us a month after the ceremony, you should call our office, at 719-583-6628. We may not have received it from the officiating party.
- If for some reason the license is not used, it must be returned to our office. In this case, please send it to: PO Box 878 Pueblo, CO. 81002.
Proxy Marriages (HOUSE BILL 15-1327)
The bill limits proxy marriages to an absent person who is :
- A member of the armed forces of the United States who is stationed in another country or in another state in support of combat or another military operation; or
- A government contractor, or an employee of a government contractor, working in support of the armed forces of the United Sates in another country or in another state or in support of United States military operations in another country or in another state.
- One party must be a resident of Colorado;
- One party appears in person to apply for the marriage license and pays the required fees;
- The signatures of both parties to the proxy marriage are required, and the party present shall sign the marriage license application and provide an absentee affidavit form containing the notarized signature of the absent party, along with proper identification documents required for a marriage license for the absent party; and
- Both parties are 18 years of age or older.