Keep Colorado Wild Pass (KCW Pass)
What is the Keep Colorado Wild Pass?
- Beginning in 2023, Colorado resident will see a $29 Keep Colorado Wild Pass added to their annual vehicle registrations through the Division of Motor Vehicle (DMV). The $29 pass fee is included automatically unless you choose to opt out. This new annual pass gives all Coloradans access to state parks and the added benefit of supporting our great outdoors and wildlife in a meaningful way.
- KCW Pass is a 60% savings over the traditional state parks pass.
What does the pass fee go to?
- The money raised from pass sales support local:
- State park systems.
- Search and rescue teams.
- Avalanche safety programs.
- Wildlife conservation efforts.
- Outdoor accessibility and educational opportunities.
What outdoor activities are included with KCW Pass?
- The pass provides car, bike and foot entry into all Colorado state parks. To find a Colorado state parks map, use the CPW State Park Finder Tool. This pass does not currently grant access to federal recreation fee areas, state wildlife areas or state trust lands. Activities such as camping, fishing or hunting will still require the appropriate reservations or licenses.
How to opt in or out?
- KCW Parks pass can only be added during the initial registration or at time of renewal.
- MV renewal cards will have two prices listed in the bottom left corner of the card.
- KCW Pass is good for one year or until current vehicle registration expires. Colorado residents will have the option to opt in or out every year during the vehicle registration process.
- The $29 pass fee is automatically included in your vehicle registration price total unless you choose opt out.
- To opt out:
- You can tell the MV clerk you do not wish to purchase the pass.
- Pay the lesser fee on renewal card that states “EXCLUDES KCW PASS”.
- Select “NO” when renewing online at mydmv.colorado.gov.
- To opt out:
KCW Pass will be the Colorado Parks and Wildlife logo on your registration card:
- The logo can be found on the bottom right corner of your registration card that excludes your address.
- No additional parks pass sticker will be given. Your registration card is your parks pass.
- Specific to vehicle only and not transferable to another vehicle.
How do I use my KCW pass:
- Simply show your vehicle registration card that includes the Colorado Parks and Wildlife logo to CPW staff when asked. If the entrance is not staffed, you may enter the park with the knowledge that you may be checked for proof of purchase at any time. You can also show proof of purchase using the image of your vehicle registration in the myColorado App or the My CPW App (See the Keep Colorado Wild Pass – Link to CPWshop.com Guide).
For more information, read our Frequently Asked Questions and/or the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Frequently Asked Questions.