The Aid to the Needy Disabled (AND) program provides financial assistance to low-income Colorado residents age 18 to 59 who have at least a six-month total disability that precludes them from working.
The Aid to the Blind (AB) program serves people under age 60 who have at least a six-month total disability that precludes them from working.
Who is Eligible?
To qualify for AND or AB program benefits you must meet these eligibility requirements:
- Meet the age requirements: 18 to 59 for AND or under 60 for AB.
- Be a U.S. Citizen, a naturalized citizen, or an eligible legal resident
- Be a resident of Colorado and a resident of Pueblo County
- Be certified by a Colorado licensed doctor as being disabled for at least six months without any work capacity
- For AND, print the doctor’s form, called a Med 9 and take it to your doctor to be completed
- For AB print the AB-5 and take it to your optometrist or ophthalmologist
- If you prefer to have the required forms mailed to you, call 719-xxx-xxxx and request the needed form.
- Applicants/recipients must apply for Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Must meet the income and resource limits. View the Income Limits for Benefits table.
These programs provide financial assistance while waiting for approval of Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Medical assistance is not provided under these programs.
Both programs will provide up to $200 per month. However, other income, such as wages, may reduce the benefit amount paid. Benefits will begin one month after all eligibility requirements have been met.
How Do I Apply?
You can apply for benefits in one of the following ways:
- Online using Colorado PEAK. Applications will be automatically submitted to the Pueblo County Department of Human Services.
- Secure a copy at one of our county office locations, 405 W. 9th Street OR 201 W. Main Street OR 2631 E. 4th Street
- Request an application be mailed to you, email [email protected] or call 719-583-6160
- Print an application and return by fax, mail or in-person at a Pueblo County DHS office.
You may return a completed application by fax, mail or in-person
- Fax: 719-583-6185
- Mail to: Pueblo County DHS, 320 W. 10th Street, Pueblo, Colorado 81003
- Office Locations: 405 W. 9th Street OR 201 W. 8th Street OR 2631 E. 4th Street
- Phone: 719-583-6160
Office hours are Monday - Friday 7:30 am to 5 pm
If you are unable to go to the nearest office, you may have another person, called an authorized representative, apply on your behalf. You must designate the authorized representative in writing.