Health First Colorado (Medicaid) may provide Home & Community Based Services (HCBS) to low-income individuals needing long term support services. These programs can help individuals remain in their homes by providing non-skilled services.
Individuals requiring nursing facilities, long term hospital care or assisted living facilities may be eligible to receive financial aid.
Who is Eligible?
To qualify for Long Term and HCBS support services:
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- You must meet financial eligibility
- You must require long term care for one or more of the following conditions:
- Elderly, Blind or Disabled
- If you are between 18-64, you must have a physical disability
- If you are 65 and older, you must be determined to have a significant functional impairment
- Mental Health
- A person experiencing severe and persistent mental health needs that requires assistance with one or more Activities of Daily Living (ADL)
- Currently has or at any time during the past year leading up to the assessment has a diagnosed mental, behavioral or emotional disorder of sufficient duration to meet diagnostic criteria specified with the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM- 5)
- Has a disorder that is episodic, recurrent, or has persistent features, but may vary in terms of severity and disabling effects
- Has resulted in a functional impairment with substantially interferes with or limits one or more major activity.
- It does not include intellectual or developmental disorders or substance use disorders without a co-occurring diagnosis of a severe and persistent mental health need.
- Brain Injury (BI)
- Must be 16 years or older
- Must have a brain injury
- Brain injury occurred before 65th birthday
- Your diagnosis must fit within certain categories
- Elderly, Blind or Disabled
HCBS may provide non-skilled services to individuals in their home to assist with activities of daily living such as:
- Bathing and dressing
- Managing medications
- Meal preparation
- Light housekeeping
Long Term Care services may cover some of the cost of:
- Nursing facilities
- Long term hospital care
- Assisted living facilities
Eligible recipients must contribute a portion of their income toward the room and board portion of their care.
How Do I Apply?
You can apply for benefits in one of the following ways:
- Visit Colorado PEAK to see if you are eligible and to apply online. Applications will be automatically submitted to the Pueblo County Department of Human Services
- Pick up an application at one of our offices, 405 W. 9th Street OR 320 W. 10th Street OR 2631 E. 4h Street
- Request an application be mailed to you, email DSSLTC@pueblocounty.us or phone 719-583-6900
- Print an application and return by mail, fax or in person at the Pueblo County DHS office.
You may return the application by fax, mail or in-person:
- Fax: 719-583-6969
- Mail to: Pueblo County DHS, 320 W. 10th Street, Pueblo, Colorado 81003
- Office Locations: 405 W. 9th Street OR 320 W. 10th Street OR 2631 E. 4th Street
- Phone: 719-583-6900
Office Hours are 7:30 am to 5:00 pm