The Crime Victim Compensation Act of Colorado was enacted on July 1, 1982 and has helped many victims of crimes.  Being a victim of a crime can be a devastating experience both emotionally and financially.  You may be facing many challenges and we may be able to offer some assistance.  If you or a loved one has been a victim of a crime within the City and County of Pueblo, you may be eligible for the Crime Victim Compensation Program.

The Crime Victim Compensation Fund cannot reimburse all costs for all crimes, as much as we would like.  We are limited by law to certain types of crimes and expenses.  Please call the Victim Compensation Administrator for a complete list of compensable crimes.

Please review the following information to determine if the crime committed falls under the Victim Compensation Program guidelines.  If you feel you are eligible for compensation from the fund or if you still have questions after reading the comments below, please feel free to contact the Victim Compensation Administrator at (719) 583-6092.

J. E. Chostner, District Attorney

If a crime is compensable (see below), victims include those who:

  • Have suffered property damage, economic loss, injury or death due to a crime committed in Colorado, or
  • Suffer injury or death because they were near a crime when it occurred, or
  • Are victims of a crime in another state or country that would be compensable in Colorado, but the other location does not have a compensation program, or
  • Are injured or killed by an act of international terrorism committed outside the United States, or
  • Attempted to help a primary victim or are relatives of a primary victim.

A crime is compensable through this office if:

  • It occurred within Pueblo County, it is the intentional, knowing, reckless or criminally negligent act of a person, and it results in bodily injury and/or death, or residential property damage.
  • Driving under the influence or driving while ability is impaired by alcohol or drugs are included as compensable crimes.

If you are the victim of a crime, the family or dependent of a deceased victim, or a person authorized to act on behalf of victims, you qualify for compensation if you:

  • Cooperate fully with law enforcement officials in catching and prosecuting the criminal;
  • Notify law enforcement of the crime within 72 hours and cooperate with them fully;
  • Apply for compensation within one year of an offense involving death or injury, or within 6 months of property damage;
  • Have exhausted all other resources for payment.
  • Reasonable medical and hospital expenses.
  • Outpatient care.
  • Loss of earnings.
  • Homemaker and home health services.
  • Burial expense.
  • Loss of support to dependents.
  • Mental health services.
  • Loss of eyeglasses, hearing aids, dentures, or medically necessary devices.
  • In some situations emergency funds up to $1,000 (contact the Administrator at (719)583-6092 for details).
  • Up to $1,000 for replacement of doors, windows, locks or other security devices on residential buildings.
  • Total compensation of no more than $20,000.
  • You provoked the crime that resulted in your injury, or if you committed a wrongful act yourself.
  • You are only claiming pain and suffering, or property damage other than what is listed above.
  • Your costs have already been paid from any other source.
  • The damage is to a vehicle.

If you believe you are eligible for victims compensation, call (719) 583-6092 and set up an appointment with our Victim Compensation Administrator. The Administrator will explain the compensation program to you and help you fill out the necessary forms.

A board composed of three Pueblo County citizens reviews each application for compensation to determine whether it fits with the laws that govern victim compensation funds. If compensation is awarded, the Tenth Judicial Court Administrator pays the applicant or service provider. Applicants are notified within 45 to 60 days on whether their application was accepted or rejected.

Should an application be denied, the applicant has the right to request the Board to reconsider its decision. That request needs to be made within 30 days. The Board will deduct payments received from insurance, other agencies, court ordered restitution or civil remedies from any compensation it awards.

If you have questions or want to apply for Victim Compensation, call the Victim Compensation Administrator at (719)583-6092.

The Crime Victim Compensation staff and Board does not discriminate because of race, creed, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability or any other non merit factor in the acceptance, review and approval of a Crime Victim Compensation application and request. To file a discrimination complaint please visit: