Body art is the practice of physical body adornment by establishments or artists utilizing, but not limited to, the techniques of body piercing, tattooing, branding, sculpting, scarification, permanent makeup, and micro-blading. This does not include practices conducted under the supervision of a physician licensed to practice medicine under Colorado law nor piercing of the outer perimeter or lobe of the ear by means of sterilized stud-and-clasp ear piercing systems.
The Pueblo Department of Public Health and Environment conducts routine inspections of body art facilities in Pueblo to ensure the safe and sanitary practice of body art, the safe and sanitary physical environment where body art is performed, and the safe and sanitary conditions of equipment utilized in body art procedures.
Body Art includes establishments utilizing, but not limited to, the techniques of body piercing, tattooing (including permanent makeup), branding, sculpting, and scarification.
PDPHE licenses Body Art facilities, not individuals. The business owner holds the license and is responsible for making sure that all staff complies with PDPHE regulations.
Body Art facilities are billed $345.00 annually (invoices are sent out in January) to receive an Authority to Operate. A renewal application shall be submitted along with payment.
Ways to pay
- Online: myhealthdepartment.com/pueblo/
User must create an account and have an invoice number or account number to make payment.
- Phone: Pay by phone Monday – Friday, 8 am – 4 pm with a credit card, call 719-583-4307, option #3.
- Mail: Send check or money order made out to PDPHE 101 W 9th St. Pueblo CO 81003. Do not send cash.
All body artists shall successfully complete and maintain the following:
New Body Art Facilities
Any new Body Art Establishment will be required to submit a Plan Review application with PDPHE, complete a pre-opening inspection, and pay all associated inspection fees and license fees. You may also refer to section 2 and 3 of The Body Art Regulation No. X
Body Art Temporary Events
An industry trade show, convention, procedural/product demonstration, educational seminar, or other similar event at which body artists perform body art services and procedures outside of a permanent body art establishment approved by the Department. And that last no longer then fourteen (14) consecutive days.
A temporary event Certificate of Approval is required for all body art temporary events held in Pueblo County.
- The following are required for Body Art temporary events. See page 13 section 5-501 of the Body Art Regulations No. X for all requirements.
- Submit Body Art Temporary Event application to PDPHE.
- Pay temporary event fee: $200.00 for one event and $345.00 for multiple temporary events.
- Comply with the requirements in section 5 of the Body Art Regulation No. X
- Pre-operation inspection
- Receive a temporary event license
Help us ensure all Pueblo County body art facilities are operating in accordance with the Body Art Regulations No. X. Individuals may submit a complaint about tattoo shops operating without a PDPHE Authority to Operate, or complaints related to health concerns at a body art facility.
Ways to submit a complaint include:
- Call 719-583-4307, option 8.
- Send a Body Art complaint form to [email protected]
- Fill out a complaint form in person at 101 W 9th Street Pueblo, CO 81003.
Complaints can be anonymous