The Pueblo Department of Public Health and Environment’s International Travel Clinic has a team of public health nurses who, in conjunction with our Medical Officer, provide health risk-related education and immunizations to prepare individuals for travel outside of the United States.

Services provided include:

  • A consultation appointment with a Registered Nurse.

  • Immunizations, both required and recommended, for people traveling out of the country. Recommendations are based on geographic risk and type of travel. This includes vaccines for Hepatitis A, Cholera (currently not available), Yellow Fever, Typhoid Fever, and Meningococcal Meningitis.

  • Information on avoiding food and water-borne illnesses, as well as other illnesses and injuries for which travelers are at risk.

  • Prescriptions for malaria, traveler’s diarrhea, altitude sickness, and Leptospirosis prevention (rafting).

  • Vaccines offered are less expensive than private sector due to public health pricing discount.



Patients are seen by appointment only. Call 719-583-4380 to schedule.

Two giraffes Two giraffes

Tips for your appointment:

  • Check on your medical insurance coverage; not all companies cover international travel.

  • Bring your insurance information and photo ID.

  • Bring records of prior vaccinations, including childhood, when coming for your "Travel Clinic" appointment.

  • Receive vaccinations in a timely manner, especially if you are planning an extended trip. Don't wait until the last minute or you may not get the protection you need.



Accept cash, checks, credit cards, or debit cards. Unfortunately, not all HSA cards are recognized at our facility.

The following insurance may be billed for routine adult vaccines:

  • Blue Cross/Blue Shield
  • United Healthcare (excluding UMR)
  • Medicaid

Unable to bill Medicare, private HMO plans, and out-of-state PPO plans.

  • Travel Health Consultation: $75 per hour, Meet with an RN to discuss your travel-related concerns to keep you healthy during your trip. Visits usually last one hour. Vaccines and prescriptions will be given along with educational material specific to your area of travel.
  • Cost of vaccines is not included in the consultation fee.
  • Vaccine Price List
  • Phone consult with Registered Nurse: if travel appointment is made after the consult, in-person consultation will be $50 instead of $75.

Sample Visits

Tanzania for 2-week safari. Recommended vaccines if no prior history: Hepatitis A, Typhoid (Injectable or Oral), Hepatitis B, MMR if born after 1956 and Tetanus if >10 years, Malaria, and Traveler’s Diarrhea prescriptions. Altitude sickness prescription if climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro. Yellow Fever vaccine is generally not recommended for travel to Tanzania.

Thailand 9 days visiting Phuket, Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Recommended vaccines if no prior history: Japanese Encephalitis-risk depending on activity, Hepatitis A (depending on risk), Typhoid (Injectable or Oral), Hepatitis B, MMR if born after 1956 and Tetanus if >10 years, Malaria and Traveler’s Diarrhea prescriptions.


Phone/Telehealth Consult with RN


  • Country of travel vaccine recommendations
  • Review personal vaccination history
  • Discuss need for malaria prescription
  • Discuss need for traveler’s diarrhea prescription
  • Review concerns and questions
  • $25-$50 per consultation, price depends on services provided

More International Travel Information from the CDC

Travelers' Health Travelers’ Diarrhea What to do if I am sick upon return? Travel Insurance Access vaccine record in Colorado