Your Rights as the Victim of a Violent Crime

We are sorry to learn that you have been a victim of a crime. We want you to know that we have resources in the Tenth Judicial District Attorney’s Office to help you cope with the crime and to inform you about court proceedings against the person(s) who committed a crime against you.

Below is an outline of the rights that you have as a victim, the services we provide or can direct you to, and what you can do at different stages of the court case. We hope you find this information helpful and encourage you to call our office at (719) 583-6030 if you need our help.

                                                                                                                                    J.E. Chostner                                                                                                                                                                                                                               District Attorney


Assault; Careless Driving Resulting in Death; Child Abuse; Crimes Against an At-Risk Adult/Juvenile; Criminally Negligent Homicide; Crimes involving Domestic Violence; Ethnic Intimidation; First Degree Burglary; Hit and Run Resulting in Death; Human Trafficking; Incest; Indecent Exposure; Intimidation of a Witness/Victim; Invasion of Privacy for Sexual Gratification; Kidnapping; Manslaughter; Menacing; Murder; Retaliation Against a Victim/Witness  or Judge/Juror; Robbery; Sexual Assault on an Adult or Child; Sexual Exploitation of Children; Stalking; Tampering with a Witness/Victim; Vehicular Assault; Vehicular Homicide; Violation of a Protection Order (if charged with Sexual Assault crime); or any attempt, conspiracy, solicitation or accessory to the listed crimes.

  • To be treated with fairness, respect, and dignity
  • To have a swift and fair resolution of your case
  • To be informed of and present for critical stages of the criminal justice process
  • To be present and heard in court regarding any bond reduction, continuance, negotiated plea, case disposition or sentencing
  • To have a safe place to wait before court, to talk with the Deputy District Attorney before the case is resolved and to be informed of how it is resolved
  • To prepare a Victim Impact Statement if the case is a felony and to be present and to be heard at sentencing
  • To be informed of the status of the case and any scheduling changes or cancellations if known in advance
  • To be informed what steps can be taken if you or a witness is harassed or intimidated
  • To have restitution ordered
  • To pursue a civil judgment against anyone who has committed a crime against you
  • To be informed, if requested, of post-conviction release or modification hearings, transfer to less secure facility or escape
  • To get your property back quickly when no longer needed for prosecution
  • To be informed about financial assistance, community service and other resources
  • To be provided with appropriate employer intercession services regarding court appearances and meetings with criminal justice officials
  • To be informed of the process of enforcing compliance with these rights

Victim Assistant Specialists:

  • Follow-up support for the victim and/or the victim’s family is available through the Victim Assistance Unit at the District Attorney’s Office. A victim assistant can assist you with any questions you may have about the court process, provide you with updates on the status of your case and accompany you to court.
  • Special services for child victims, elderly victims or victims who are persons with disabilities are also available. Please call (719) 583-6030 for assistance.
  • Victim Assistance Specialists provide community resource referrals for: counseling, legal aid services, probation, social services, shelter, transportation, assistance with creditors, translation services, child care services during court proceedings (not always available) and other support services.

Financial Assistance:

You may qualify for assistance through the Victim Compensation Program for certain expenses such as medical expenses, lost wages, mental health therapy, funeral/burial costs and in some cases, broken windows or door locks.


Emergency                                     911

Pueblo Police Department           553-2538

Pueblo Sheriff’s Department       583-6125

YWCA Family Crisis Shelter        545-8195

Parkview Hospital                         584-4000

St. Mary Corwin Hospital             560-4000

District Attorney                            583-6030

Pueblo Rape Crisis Services        544-1191

ACOVA                                           553-2460

Pueblo Child Advocacy                 583-6332

Colorado Legal Aid Services        545-6708

Officers and detectives from the law enforcement agency will be investigating the case as well as the District Attorney’s Office. Ask for identification so you know with whom you are speaking. These people will always identify themselves by the department name.

The defendant’s attorney or investigator may also contact you about the case. This is their right and it is appropriate for them to do so. The investigator may be from the Public Defender’s Office or may be working with a private attorney. Always ask for identification. You have the right to speak with the person, not to speak with the person or speak with the person with someone from the District Attorney’s Office present.

We encourage witnesses to be cooperative with all parties to the case and the District Attorney’s Office will be happy to assist you at your request.

You may call the originating law enforcement agency or an Investigator at the District Attorney’s Office.

After conviction of a defendant or adjudication of a juvenile charged with a violent crime and UPON YOUR WRITTEN REQUEST, our state and local correctional authorities will notify you of information regarding the defendant's incarceration, including where the defendant is incarcerated, the projected release date, scheduled parole hearing and any escape of the defendant.

If the defendant in your case is sentenced, you have the right to request notification from the corresponding agency at the following address: (If you are not sure where to send the request, please contact the assigned Victim Advocate.


          DOC Victim Notification Program                                                                Pueblo County Jail

          2862 South Circle Drive                                                                                Victim Information Notification Everyday (VINE)

          Colorado Springs, CO  80906                                                                       (888) 263-8463

          (800) 886-7688 or (719) 226-7409                                                  


          Probation (Opt-in)                                                                                           Division of Youth Corrections (DYC)

          10th Judicial Probation Dept.                                                                         Victim Notification Program

          1120 Court Street                                                                                           4255 S. Knox Court

          Pueblo, CO  81003                                                                                          Denver, CO  80236

          (719) 253-5618                                                                                               (303) 866-7852



Colorado law provides that victims may enforce compliance with the provisions of the Victims Rights Constitutional Amendment by notifying first the local District Attorney’s Office, and if not satisfied there, contacting the State office that oversees victims’ rights. At the District Attorney’s Office, you can talk with the Victim Assistance Coordinator at (719) 583-6092. If still not satisfied, please contact:

Division of Criminal Justice
Office for Victims’ Programs
700 Kipling Street, Suite 1000
Denver, CO 80215

Phone (303) 239-4497
FAX (303) 239-4491

In order to help you, we need to know where you are. If you are a victim working with our victim advocates, please keep the District Attorney’s Office informed of your current address and phone number at all times.