Retail operations that store, prepare, or package food for consumers require a valid Retail Food Establishment License dated for the current year.

Retail Food Establishment license fees are based on the type and size of the operation and are only valid for a calendar year.

Applications and Packets


Retail Food License Application:
This is the application for retail food licenses.


Food Protection Manager Certification:
At least one employee with authority to direct and control food preparation and service shall be a food protection manager who has been certified by an accredited program. Only Conference for Food Protection ANSI certified Food Protection Manager courses meet the requirements of 2-102.20.

Two cooks in a restaurant kitchen

Facility Plan Review Packet: Any new food facility in Pueblo county is required to complete this plan review. The plan review packet is a general outline of the food operation. You will be asked to provide a facility layout, equipment list, and a sample menu.

Group of people waiting in line for a food truck

Mobile Plan Review Packet: If food vending is to take place out of a mobile unit (food truck, ice cream truck, etc) a separate mobile plan review packet is required. The mobile plan review is tailored for food production in a limited space and of a limited amount. Physical facilities, equipment requirements and water availability are the main requirements of the packet.

Temporary Events

Multiple carnival food stands with colorful flags and signs

Temporary Event - Coordinator Packet:  If you are an event coordinator of a temporary event, a coordinator packet is required. This outlines the plan for the location of the event, the event time frame, the services provided (water supply, grey water disposal, restroom facilities) and a list of vendors. The coordinator packet is the first step in planning an event with vendors and should be received before vendor applications.

Powdered sugar being sprinkled on a funnel cake

Temporary Event- Vendor Packet: Temporary events are events that last less than 10 days (celebrations, festivals, and fairs). Food vending at temporary events is modified and requires approval from the Pueblo Department of Public Health and Environment. The first step is properly filling out a vendor packet. 

Additional Forms and Resources

Food Regulations: This document outlines all the food rules used by inspectors and contains all Colorado retail food establishment rules and regulations.

Food being served buffet style

Street Vendor Information: This flyer summarizes additional information on requirements for food vendors including licensing, equipment, operational methods, and labeling.

A man severing barbecue potatoes to a smiling woman

Additional Mobile Food Vendor Information: This collaborative site includes more information on operating a mobile food unit in Pueblo.

A hand holding a cup of chocolate ice cream in front of an ice cream truck

Opening a New Food Facility (including remodels)

It is necessary to submit detailed plans and specifications of a proposed newly constructed retail food establishment and/or the affected areas of any proposed extensively remodeled retail food establishment. Each retail food operator, or person intending to become a retail food operator, is responsible for submitting all plans and specifications. Those assisting an operator may submit plans and specifications on the operator's authority.

Failure to provide the required information may delay the plan review process. A plan review packet requires a $100 review fee and takes a minimum of 14 business days to complete.  Upon completion of the plan review, a pre-opening inspection of the facility and operations is conducted leading to the final step, licensing.

Any revision of plans must be submitted to the Department for review and modification or approval.  NOTE: Even if the Pueblo Regional Building Department has conducted a plan review and approved plans, the Pueblo Department of Public Health and Environment must conduct a separate plan review using a separate set of blueprints and a completed plan review packet.


Change of Owner

For existing facilities that wish to formally change ownership (which is changing the legal owner, attaining a new Colorado Department of Revenue Sales Tax ID number and getting a new Retail Food Establishment license) a new License Application must be filled out and a plan review packet for the new operations and a special inspection may be required. Licenses from other establishments are non-transferable.  Normal plan reviews fees apply including a $75 special inspection fee for the Change of Ownership Inspection.


Mobile Units (Food Trucks)

For food vending out of a mobile unit (food truck, ice cream truck, etc) a separate plan review packet is required. A $100 plan review fee applies and the subsequent licensing fee will be determined by operations. The plan review takes a minimum of 14 business days to complete. An inspection of the proposed mobile unit (all equipment working and present) must be completed before operations begin.

Most mobile units will not be fully contained and it is likely that vendors must use a commissary. 

Commissaries are essential to mobile unit operations because they provide the missing equipment and space needed for proper storage/preparation. The mobile plan review includes a Commissary Agreement to be filled out and signed by the commissary owner.