Remember: YOU DON’T ALWAYS HAVE TO BURN! Many materials can be given away, mulched, reused, or recycled.

Who needs an Open Burning Permit?

Anyone performing a non-exempted open burn in Colorado.

Who doesn’t need an Open Burning Permit?

Campfires, non-commercial cooking fires, and agricultural burning are exempted from open burn permit. These burns are still subject to fire district and municipal fire rules.

What is agricultural burning?

Agricultural burning is the burning of water conveyance ditches and/or fields to prepare land for the planting of COMMERCIAL CROPS. Land zoned as “agricultural” does not automatically provide an exemption from an open burn permit.

How do I apply for a permit?

Apply for a burn permit at

Pueblo Department of Public Health and Environment
101 W 9th Street
Pueblo, CO 81003

and notify your local Fire Department.

Burning brush pile

What materials may be burned?

Untreated, natural wood (sticks and branches), leaves, dry prairie grass, slash, weeds. All burns must be performed in open piles. Burning in barrels or incinerators is not allowed.

What materials are not allowed to be burned?

Tree stumps, tires, chemicals, plastic, cut lumber, construction debris, trash. The burning of these materials produces pollution that is harmful to the environment and the health of you and your neighbors.

What happens if I burn without a permit?

Air Quality Control Commission Regulation 9 provides guidelines for open burning. Burning without a permit or burning of prohibited materials can lead to a sizable civil penalty of up to $10,000 per day. (per C.R.S 25-7-123) GET A PERMIT BEFORE YOU BURN!


Before you burn

  • Check with your local fire department regarding fire safety and municipal rules.
  • Apply for an open burning permit.

On the day of your Burn

  • Inform your fire department that you plan on burning.
  • Make sure the fire is out COLD before sundown.