The Burial Assistance program may provide contributions toward the payment of funeral, cremation, and/or burial expenses for deceased individuals who were receiving public assistance benefits at the time of death.

Who is Eligible?

Individuals who received one of the following public assistance programs may be eligible:

  • Old Age Pension (OAP)
  • State Aid to the Needy Disabled (AND)
  • State Aid to the Blind (AB)
  • Aid to the Needy Disabled/Supplemental Security Income-Colorado Supplement (AND/SSI CS)
  • Aid to the Blind/Supplemental Security Income – Colorado Supplement (AB/SSI CS)
  • Temporary Assistance to Needy Families/Colorado Works (TANF/CW)
  • Medicaid
  • Medicare Savings Program
Additional Requirements:
  • The estate of the deceased is insufficient to pay reasonable expenses
  • The persons legally responsible for the support of the deceased are unable to pay because of insufficient resources
  • The total cost of the funeral, cremation, and/or burial cannot exceed $2,500
  • The deceased individual must meet verification requirements for the program they were receiving at the time of death
  • An application for burial benefits must be provided to the county office within a year from the date of death
  • An invoice for services provided must be provided to pay the burial expense


  • Contributions toward the cost of funeral, cremation or burial expenses

How Do I Apply?

  • You can apply in person at one of the local Pueblo County Human Services offices, 405 W. 9th Street OR 320 W. 10th Street.
  • When applying please have with you:
    • An invoice of services from an established provider
    • Verification of resources (if applicable) for responsible persons as of the date of death

Questions?  Call 719-583-6160 or email [email protected]


View the USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

Frequently Asked Questions

What if the burial amount exceeds the $2,500 limit, but someone chooses to contribute toward the funeral/cremation to decrease the cost to $2,500?

The total cost of the funeral/cremation cannot exceed $2,500. Any money voluntarily contributed by a spouse or parent(s) is used to reduce the state contribution.

Do I have to be related to the deceased recipient to apply for burial benefits for them?

No, you do not. The Burial Assistance Program is based on the eligibility of the deceased individual, not the applicant. Keep in mind however the resources of the parents (if the deceased is a minor child) or spouse are considered available for payment of funeral, cremation, and/or burial expenses and must be insufficient to pay for the funeral, cremation, or burial expenses.

Can we pay for the burial before payment is made to the provider by the County, and then have the funeral provider pay us back after they receive payment?

No. The Burial Program is not a reimbursement program. If payment is rendered prior to payment by the State of Colorado, that amount will reduce the payment amount made. If the amount is paid in full, no payment will be issued by the State of Colorado for funeral/burial services. This includes charging a credit card and reimbursing the amount after the provider is paid.

Which funeral/burial provider can be used?

Providers for funeral/burial services must complete the provider process with the State of Colorado. This process can take a series of months. If you choose a provider that has not completed this process, payment will not be made to them until the process is complete.